YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Friday, June 12, 2009

Mother's Day

Well... Mother's Day has come and gone. And since then, there have been a few new mothers created here on the farm! :)



About a month ago Jason and I noticed that our cat was getting a little fat! Kimberly picked her up one day and we noticed how bulging her belly was. Jason called it, and sure enough, two days later she came to eat quite a bit skinnier than before and hind-end covered in gunk. It took us two days to watch her, but we eventually found the four baby kitties that she had. Unfortunately though, the kids were so excited that they received too frequent of visits and the cat moved them and we hadn't seen them since... until yesterday. Mommy cat showed up on the deck to eat with one baby kitten. She is so little and her eyes were pussed shut, so we have been caring for her, assuming she is all that has survived of the kittens.



Our pond gets regular daily visits from ducks, geese, water muscrats, and a crain every now and then. And one day a bald eagle even came to visit and fish! But we noticed that there were two regular geese that came to visit. About two weeks ago, Jason noticed six little movements following behind one of the geese. Ahhh! She had goslings! I tried to catch a picture of them as they were trailing in between their parents. What fun it has been for our kids and for us, to see our little piece of heaven multiplying with the Lord's creations! It has been such a blessing to live here and enjoy the beauty all around us!



And so... we have been celebrating mother's day more often than just once a year, as we discover new babies on the farm. There are nests in almost every tree and I am sure there are more new little ones that we have not yet discovered! The only mother who hasn't hatched yet is.... well, me! I am past 39 weeks now. And today we are supposed to be driving down to Caldwell, so that I can be induced tomorrow, but our car decided to die yesterday at my mother-in-law's house (as I was returning to pick up my children from my doctor's apt). The fuel pump went out and most-likely won't be fixed until Monday. So.... I am not celebrating my mother's day (of giving birth to my last child) just yet! Only a few more days... I hope... and I will get to celebrate another Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Raquel Koehler said...

I wish I had those kind of views in my backyard... We will be thinking of you, hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted.

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Your home is SO beautiful! I can't wait to come and see it without snow and freezing winds blowing in every direction! :)
New life is always a joy to be around. Fun little kittens, silly little goslings! ha ha any new horses? :)
You guys are doing great at keeping up your home. Love it.