The week before his birthday, a sickness spread through our children like a plague. First Emma - high fever, followed by coughing, runny nose, blood-shot and swollen eyes, and lastly lethargy. A few days later, Tyler presented the same symptoms. The next day, Kimberly started with the fever and cough. Ugggh. While trying to endure the last few weeks of my pregnancy, and having been put on temporary bed rest, how was I to deal with this. Afterall, we were getting ready for another big event in our family - Bryson's Birthday and Baptism.
So.... Bryson's birthday came, as did his party. A fun-filled, totally free birthday party outside in our yard was interrupted by a lot of rain that wouldn't stop AND three sick children, and took some quick improvising. Since we have a family pass to the local hot springs pool up here, Jason took Bryson and his seven little buddies to the pool to swim in the rain and NOT be in our SICK home. Thank goodness he had taken the day off, and again, I was reminded at how blessed I am to have him as a husband and father, always willing to help with EVERYTHING!
As the next week unfolded, we were preparing to have Bryson's baptism on Saturday, and by Tuesday, the kids were still really sick. And now, Megan had started coughing and running a fever. Uggh! The only one left to get this sickness was Bryson. Although all of the children had received priesthood blessings, including myself, the sickness had progressed so far that we had to take the three little ones to the doctor (Emma had been running a fever for 6 DAYS!) Upon leaving the HOSPITAL, we came home with a portable oxygen tank for Tyler, lots of prescriptions for all three kids - Amoxicillon for ear infections, Albuterol for breathing treatments for Tyler and Emma, Prednisone for Tyler and Emma to help boost their immunity and breathing, and oxygen tanks would be delivered to the house later that night by a company in Boise (Tyler would have to have it 24/7 for the next 48 hours, and Emma only when sleeping). What more could happen as we are preparing for this joyous occasion?
In the midst of the sickness and being nearly 9 months pregnant with two REALLY sick little ones, I felt EXTREMELY overwhelmed and overcome with emotions. I didn't know what to do. I had been praying for the sickness to leave our home and for our children to recover quickly, so that NOTHING would interfere with Bryson's baptism. But, I could not receive the answer that I was needing. Satan was definitely getting the best of me. Jason had to work for those few days, and I was struggling to cope with taking care of sick children AND myself, and not to mention my older children.
As I prayed for strength and answers of what to do - if my kids don't get better soon, how could it be possible to baptize Bryson this Saturday (which was only 3 days away)? With family coming, how do I expose them to this? What if Bryson gets sick? It was only a matter of time. I felt a peaceful feeling that inspired me to call a really good friend of mine, who is ALWAYS in tune to the spirit. And so I did. And she was TRULY inspired in the response that she offered me - it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear, and when she said it, truth and testimony spoke to my heart.
I continued to pray for the sickness to leave, as I also continued to pray for Bryson to be protected from it. AND I continued to plan and prepare for the baptism, knowing that being baptized was important to my son and that he was excited to finally get the Holy Ghost. I wanted nothing more for him, but for him to have his righteous desire, when HE wanted it. Finally, he was of age and he was ready.
Saturday, May 9th, 2009 (the day before Mother's Day), was truly a magical day. Looking back, the mere hiccups along the way were just small and insignificant. The day didn't exactly run how I had hoped (or planned, nor thought). Jason had forgotten his extra set of garments to change into after baptizing Bryson (just one of our little hiccups). But, in the end, it was just something to sit back and laugh about, and the wisdom we gain from our experiences that we will have for next time!
The day was full of sunshine. The spirit was strong. The room filled with family and close friends. The boy to be baptized - radiating with excitement and anticipation. The father was overwhelmed with emotions of inadequacy in performing such a sacred and necessary ordinance, wondering if he was feeling similar feelings that John the Baptist must have felt when baptizing our Savior. The siblings of the soon-to-be baptized boy, fever-free and on antibiotics, but still coughing and healthy enough to attend. The mother's heart was filled with joy, as she witnessed the righteous choice of her eldest child and son, and also the power of the priesthood playing such a strong part in her family's life. What sweet bliss!
Somehow, the Lord had provided a way for this all to happen. The spirit bore witness to me the truthfulness of the gospel. If we are righteous and obedient, and we TRULY RELY on the Lord in our lives, as long as we do everything in our power to do our part, the Lord will provide a way for us to be blessed with the righteous desires of our heart. That day, I witnessed pure truths. 





2 comments:
Congrats to Bryson! That is awesome. Your testimony of the gospel is so touching Lisa, thank you for sharing it... It just seemed like the other day when we met you guys and Bryson was only
3yrs now he is 8yrs - that is crazy!
We are so happy for you Bryson, it sounds like it was a very special day. We await the good new about your new little one!
Post a Comment