YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

WINTER... here we come!!!

I knew that Sunday, October 4th would be a wonderful day... simply because we were going to get the opportunity to hear from our dear prophet and apostles in General Conference. But... I had no idea that when I woke up at 3:30 am to feed Eli, that I would discover the ground outside the window looking different than it has for the past few months. In fact, it appeared that there was movement (a sprinkling) in front of the outside porch light. I knew it wasn't rain, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw SNOW! And this is what our morning at 7:30 am looked like... much like a Winter Wonderland! (Did I mention that we lost power from 5 am to about 7:45 am?)

These trees were not prepared to be covered in snow! Their branches are hung over like an umbrella because they still have most of their leaves (which haven't all turned colors because our fall has been so short) and the weight of the snow is too much for them to bare.





This is my most favorite part of winter... the pine trees flocked with snow!



This is our pond in the backyard, still covered in lily pads. We got enough snow that you can't see the grass anywhere around it. If you look closely, there is a canoe that is half-covered in snow and a paddle boat at the edge of the pond that is mostly covered as well.


Jason's truck that just happened to be parked out front after unloading a cord of wood that we fortunately got just two days earlier! And my flower boxes filled with dead flowers!


And my little snow buddies who pulled out their winter gear - with great excitement - to go out and retrieve the apples off our tree before they were ruined from the snow!

But... it was a good day. The kids played bingo, we put up the pictures of the apostles as they spoke, we felt the spirit, and we learned MUCH to improve on and become better! And we had a PURE, WHITE conference!

1 comment:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I LOVE IT!! What a beautiful thing to wake up to on such a great Sunday! Full of our prophet and general authorities. It was such a great conference and I'm slightly jealous you got to enjoy it in such coziness with white all around you.

I have to agree, pine trees flocked with snow is my favorite part of a winter wonderland too :)
I loved the ones by our old house. It always looked like a puzzle when you looked at them from the kitchen window.. *sigh*
I'm gonna miss not having snow this year..