Well, it is obvious that I haven't blogged FOREVER. As if having a newborn and my 20-month-old in a hip spica cast (basically a little less than a full body cast), and a couple of family reunions at our house, isn't busy enough this summer, I am now teaching preschool. And so far I am totally loving it!
I battled with my decision to do it, weighing out many pros and cons, and eventually made the final decision to do it! I have had to sacrifice in a few areas, and work harder in other areas to make sure that my own children are still my first priority, but I am gradually getting a system down! I only have three kids, which is less than I would have preferred to have. However, it is a good trial year for me to get a system down and get my curriculum lined out.
My incredibly talented, and most anal (OCD) sister has given me all of her old kindergarten curriculum, which has been a blessing in itself. My major challenge has been to simplify what I have been given into only 5 hours of learning a week. And I also have a good friend who has walked me through her daily schedule, her tricks of the trade, and shared her curriculum and other tips as well. I feel very blessed to have had such fantastic resources!
I struggled last year to teach Tyler and Kimberly at home. Kimberly was very eager to learn, but Tyler's attention span was less than desirable! Doing preschool with him has given him a sense of responsibility for learning and "going to school" like his three older siblings. And the social setting has been wonderful for him to sit still long enough to accomplish something!
I took a few pictures of what was formerly the "office" and now has earned the name of "the school room". Oh how I love yard sales and thrift stores! The two school desks (which are for my girls) were picked up at a yard sale for $5 each! And the preschool table and chairs my friend found at a thrift store for me - $25 for the whole set up! Then I have my computer desk, and Bryson's desk is on the other side under the alphabet (Yard Sale & D.I. specials from years ago!) And yet another friend donated her cute circle rug! You have to appreciate the baby blue cellular shades that were already in the house! I added the red/khaki valances (which look really cute when the blinds are up and you get to see the beautiful view out my school room windows - it is only at night that the blinds are down!)
I battled with my decision to do it, weighing out many pros and cons, and eventually made the final decision to do it! I have had to sacrifice in a few areas, and work harder in other areas to make sure that my own children are still my first priority, but I am gradually getting a system down! I only have three kids, which is less than I would have preferred to have. However, it is a good trial year for me to get a system down and get my curriculum lined out.
My incredibly talented, and most anal (OCD) sister has given me all of her old kindergarten curriculum, which has been a blessing in itself. My major challenge has been to simplify what I have been given into only 5 hours of learning a week. And I also have a good friend who has walked me through her daily schedule, her tricks of the trade, and shared her curriculum and other tips as well. I feel very blessed to have had such fantastic resources!
I struggled last year to teach Tyler and Kimberly at home. Kimberly was very eager to learn, but Tyler's attention span was less than desirable! Doing preschool with him has given him a sense of responsibility for learning and "going to school" like his three older siblings. And the social setting has been wonderful for him to sit still long enough to accomplish something!
I took a few pictures of what was formerly the "office" and now has earned the name of "the school room". Oh how I love yard sales and thrift stores! The two school desks (which are for my girls) were picked up at a yard sale for $5 each! And the preschool table and chairs my friend found at a thrift store for me - $25 for the whole set up! Then I have my computer desk, and Bryson's desk is on the other side under the alphabet (Yard Sale & D.I. specials from years ago!) And yet another friend donated her cute circle rug! You have to appreciate the baby blue cellular shades that were already in the house! I added the red/khaki valances (which look really cute when the blinds are up and you get to see the beautiful view out my school room windows - it is only at night that the blinds are down!)
THE SCHOOL ROOM
My Preschool Kids (in alphabetical order)
Aspen, Hannah, & Tyler
4 comments:
Lisa - look at you go girl! You can do it, it's just a matter of balancing your time. Although your class is small this year, enjoy it! It will give you time to get a system down. Just remember, the first two years are the hardest and then after that the prep work is minor. Cute classroom! I can't believe you guys have snow.
First of all WOW, look at Aspen's smile!! That's my girl. Well I am so glad you decided to teach. I can tell all the work you put into it. I really appreciate it, and so does Aspen. She loves coming and the weekend seems so long to her. Tues. can't come fast enough!
How fun Lisa! The school room looks awesome! I love thrifty finds!
A fun idea that Jordan's aunt does [teaches preschool as well] she'll do a letter a week, or month however long you would like to focus on it, and she'll make a container of little things that start with that letter ie:
F- tiny plastic frog, a feather, a plastic fish, a smiley face, a picture frame, a flower, etc. just a little drawer or container of each thing. and the kids LOVE pulling out something and figuring it's name and how they relate. Or you can do a scavenger hunt to have THEM find the things you place around the house that begin with that letter. Whatever! I just though that was a great way to apply and connect the letter to their world! :)
Good luck with it all!
Lisa the room looks awsome! You are going to be a great teacher and I know that you will balance everything, Yeah for you and the kids that you teach!
Post a Comment