YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

School is Here!

And another school year begins.....

Our night before, Sunday, was full of excitement and drama. The kids were so excited about school that they were happily helping in the kitchen with dinner (even though it is "my designated day in the kitchen"). We were nearly done cooking the spaghetti when Bryson yelled "Owwwwwwwwww....owww....owww..." REALLY LOUD! I looked over to see him waiving his hand in the air, sprinkling the floor, the counter, his sisters clothes, and the cupboards with blood. He was trying to open a can of olives and while tearing off the lid, sliced his thumb good. I quickly grabbed for a paper towel and we applied pressure...and we applied more pressure...and waited...and waited...and still that cut bled.

Jason came home from church in time to give the kids their Priesthood blessings before checking on for work, when he assessed the damage and declared that after dinner, it was inevitable that I would be taking Bryson to the E.R. Bryson really wanted to eat his dinner and did not want to go the hospital. He sat next to me and I held his hand all through dinner - applying pressure to his thumb. We ate quickly and Jason gave him a blessing - while I was still holding his thumb. As soon as he finished, we were off to the E.R. (unfortunately missing the rest of the blessings), but was grateful only to spend a half hour there and walk out with only three stitches in his thumb. ***My first kid to have stitches!*** (And he didn't like the numbing part...but, does anybody? He kept requesting his father, because he was scared of the needle, and I did my best to comfort him.

Jason gave priesthood blessings to all the kids. They got their jammies on and set their clothes out for the next, big day! I think Megan laid out 20 different clothes (trying to find just the right outfit for her first day - oh, how she is growing into an early teenager!) The kids couldn't wait to go to sleep (much like Christmas)...if you hurry and go to sleep, then maybe somehow the time will pass faster and the next day will be the "big, anticipated day"!

Oh, how I love the structure of school...and surprisingly, my kids do, too! They couldn't wait to take their school supplies, each carefully labeled in "their color" with their name. Backpacks were packed, clothes neatly laid out...look out school, here we come!

The morning brought much excitement! It was a little rushed, as they struggled to focus on the process of getting ready because they were just too darn excited. But...here are the infamous pictures of their first day!

Bryson - 4th Grade - Mrs. Truxel
Megan - 2nd Grade - Mrs. Hamilton
Kimberly - 1st Grade - Mrs. Doane
Eli thought he would climb on the fireplace and have his taken, too.


As summer comes to a close, my heart is somewhat torn. I am not sure if I truly love the casualness and carefree feeling of summer. Sure, it is nice once in a while to be spontaneous and do absolutely NOTHING, but not too often-my being can't handle being non-productive most of the time! My kids have picked up on my habits, and when school time comes, they enjoy the structure as well - Reward System here we come! It keeps the peace and sanity and efficiency in our home!

What I love so much about my children loving school is the new opportunities they encounter. It is truly a chance for them to apply OUTSIDE of our home, what they have been taught INSIDE our home. I have one child who sometimes struggles to keep the rules in our home-knows them, and requires that they apply to everyone else, but justifies breaking them once in a while. However, I have had many good reports of that same child, from teachers, moms, and school secretaries that rave over how polite, kind, cheerful, helpful, and obedient this child is. Imagine that...the application of what we are trying to teach in our home does really get lived outside of it!

We are trying to teach the children the importance of missionary work and service - for looking for someone else in need or asking if they can assist in anyway - to ACT, rather than to be ACTED upon. They have been growing so much in that area over the past few weeks and I hope that that will carry over into the choices they make and things they do at school.

There is no doubt that sending them to an environment where they can be tempted, pressured, ridiculed, and discouraged is extremely hard, as a mother. Yet, it is also very rewarding. It is a time for them to explore their free agency and develop their character. The way we learn from our mistakes is only by making them (or by watching someone else...like older brothers & sisters). In the past, I have been surprised at how bold and brave my school children have been about missionary work, and just sharing the Gospel of Good News! They want everyone to feel the joy that they feel and know where our happiness comes from. It would be difficult to acquire these contacts any other way, than through school.

I can recall Megan's first year of school - Kindergarten - where she struggled to be friends with a few of the girls in her class. As a mother, you usually hear only one side of the story, but Megan would come home bauling that someone told her they weren't gonna be her friend anymore because she didn't do this, or that, or give someone this, or let someone wear that. It was through those discouraging, emotional times that I helped her build her character to know who she is and to recognize that that is not how real friendships are based, and that we have to be aware of the words we say - words can hurt! We went over the rules - #1 Is it True? #2 Is it Kind? #3 Is it necessary to say (though it may be true, if it is not kind, it is not necessary to say). What a huge difference that made. Though any of us are far from perfect and some struggle more with tact than others (that would be Megan, who is not afraid to say just about anything), we are striving to live more Christ-centered lives and follow his example.

I love to watch my children grow and see the things that we have taught them come to play. Summer is a fun and relaxing time (one in which, after Day Three of school I have still not recovered from - I have, yet, to get myself up early enough, to get them up early enough to catch the bus. Who would think that kids would take more than an hour to get ready for school in the morning? Maybe by next week we will have the system down pat???

Tomorrow, Bryson has his first field trip - which he cannot wait for. Yesterday, Jason and I surprised the kids and joined them for lunch. Bryson made a new friend, Dominique, who just moved here and who seems very kind. All of the kids were separated from some of the very best friends from our ward, which made them a little sad, but gives them new opportunity to meet new friends and continue to share the good news of the gospel! They are learning responsibility and accountability and how to be good little citizens! Oh, how I love school.

Next week it will be Tyler and Emma's turn. I am officially not teaching preschool this year - I am somewhat torn, but know that is the best decision. Tyler is ready for more than what I would teach to new preschoolers, so I decided to focus on giving him a good head start for kindergarten. And since I only have THREE children at home this year (it's been a while since that happened) I have more time to spend teaching him and Emma, which helps them feel important and a part of the school joy! If I could afford to send him somewhere else, I totally would. I think it is wonderful for children to have social interaction outside the home - to learn to follow the rules and instructions from someone besides their mom. (Hence, also the reason why I love Primary!)

I am sure this year will not come without trials and struggles, but I am so eager to see them learning, growing, and becoming their own little spirits - putting the principles of the gospel to the test, every step of the way, and watching their own little miracles happen. I miss the big kids. I tend to relate much easier with my children when they are older, but I am relishing the little ones and knowing that my time left with them is just as sacred.

It is hard to believe that in a month from now, Megan is going to be baptized. My second child to be baptized. What I love so much is that she keeps nagging me about a baptism dress that she needs to have. I have been playing it off...but what she doesn't know is that her grandma is making her her very own...to add to her My Three White Dresses collection. Her eyes will sparkle when she sees that dress and her heart will be so full of joy...I am anxiously awaiting that day.

Well...enough rambling for the night. I am going to be better at blogging/journaling the events of my life, and my family, before I let them all pass me by. My husband is gone hunting...as it is Elk Season again. I am aiming to be in bed much earlier tonight...so I can start my morning earlier...so my kids can catch the bus...so I can not be such a slacker. Though I crave the structure so much, I can hardly breathe without it, it is I who cannot get my weary fanny out of bed in the morning to get the household going!!! I'll best be working on that. But, hey...side note...I did exercise yesterday morning (go, me-small miracles do happen!!!) So, it may take a week or so to work the kinks out, but I will get it.

Oh, and random extra - NOTE TO SELF: Don't ever go to the grocery store after 5 PM, EVER again! I thought I would wait until the kids got home, read scriptures with Jason and kids before he went hunting, and then go. BIG MISTAKE! I was in there for nearly TWO HOURS! Kimberly was the day helper, so she got to come with me...and helped push a cart - since we had TWO heaping carts full and EVERYONE was staring at us. Next time I will bring ALL SIX kids and maybe they will stare at my rowdy kids and not the amount of food that a mother and six-year-old are struggling to push down the aisles in two separate carts. Ahhhh...that's behind me now...and I have learned from my mistake!

3 comments:

Scott and Carly said...

Love the pictures! My sister's and I took our first day of school pictures in front of our fridge:) It's fun to look back and see how much one has grown from year to year (standing, or sitting - in the same place)

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I love it! :) The kids look so great in their new clothes and their big smiles! It made me think back to when i'd lay out my new clothes, [5 different outfits FINALLY narrowed down to 1] :) Just like miss Megan, and my backpack all nice and filled with new supplies.. *sigh* ahh what good memories. :) Can't wait to hear what this new school year holds for you and the kids and how well they excel!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Oh and yea for you for getting to exercise! Now get your hiney out of that bed missy! :) haha