YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Monday, June 9, 2008

CAMPING FEVER!

Well, this past Saturday, the Young Women's Presidency went for a drive to check out our girls camp location for this year. I was so excited to get to go! I left the kids home with Jason and went with the other counselor and secretary and we had a great time.


The other women weren't familiar with where we were going, so I had to show them. As we neared the turn-off, there was a part of me that was so excited. I felt like a little kid in a candy store... waiting to pick the perfect treat! The location has become one of my most favorite places on earth - besides my home, and the temple, of course. As we started down the dirt road, I couldn't help but smile. There were only a few small patches of snow left in the shadows of the trees, but the familiar sights brought joy to my heart.


What is most ironic about all of this is that I never grew up camping with my family. In fact, the only camping that I have ever done was girls camp, EVER! When my husband and I were dating, he actually considered not marrying me because I wasn't a camper. It wasn't so much that I wasn't, or couldn't be, but that I had never been. My husband was so concerned that I wouldn't enjoy it, as he had seen other extended family members who had not enjoyed it, and finally quit going with their families because of it. He didn't want that for his own family, so he took great caution. He ultimately wanted to be able to share one of his greatest passions with his wife - and family.


Every year, since the year we started dating, we have gone camping to this special place. His family goes EVERY year. They ALWAYS go every year after Memorial Day. But, this year was different. I'm not sure exactly why we didn't go - though I know there were many reasons - but, I really missed it. I have truly come to love this place! They have considered going other places, just to "try them out", but every years we loyally come back here. I am so grateful. We HAVE been to a few other places, and all of the others just aren't quite the same. This has become my special camping place.


Sometimes I get a bad attitude about camping. There is so much effort in packing the food, packing the clothes, packing the gear for an adventure where everyone is going to get dirty and smelly, and the cooking & cleaning is a lot harder to do than being at home. It is hardly what I call a "vacation". Vacation from what? And... you always have to make sure that you pack enough clothes for every weather situation and for the kids to get muddy several times a day. It is a lot of work. But, after the five-hr process of packing and loading and then you get into the truck and drive, get there, unload and set-up camp (another five hours it seems like) and stoke up the fire and flop into your camp chair and watch your children's love affair with nature... you realize... it is all worth it!


So, as we were driving down the dirt road, there were a few times when we had to roll down our windows to partake of the beauty around us - the aroma and the rushing of the water. Ahhh... I have camping fever! Who would've thought? Especially after living in CAMPING CENTRAL, USA! But, I have to admit... I LOVE IT! Doesn't mean I won't get grumpy now and then about it. But, right now I would love to just escape with my family into the middle of the woods and let the kids go wild-just to be kids, with no cares in the world-and watch them in their element. And for myself-rest from the stresses of the world, and all of the gadgets that clutter my time and my life, and just enjoy my family.


The location was perfect! They thought so, too. I really wanted them to just leave me there. I actually thought to myself... I could just call Jason and maybe he could round up the kids and meet me here. We've got food. It could work. Oh, wait, its Saturday. And... Megan has been running a fever and threw up last night. Ok, maybe not tonight, but when???


So, we drove around for a bit. I showed them the place where my husband loves to cliff jump - I wouldn't be caught dead doing it - I am totally chicken. However, he doesn't pressure me. He is just grateful that I enjoy one of his great passions - CAMPING! And I am grateful, too. I used to think his parents were crazy, and he was crazy, too. Who wants to go camping for vacation? It's so much work!


During my high school years, my dad was a member of a nation-wide furniture buying corporation, and was actually the CEO, so I often got the opportunity to travel to many places with he and my mom. I was truly spoiled. So, my idea of a vacation was an airplane trip to a new place, stay in a luxury hotel, rent a car, eat out at fancy restaurants, and do nothing yourself (no cooking, no cleaning - just shopping, eating, and playing!) Ahhh.... it was great! But, that time in my life has passed... and reality has emerged... and the pocketbook is empty! So, for now... camping sounds great!

I have been working on a free father's day gift for Jason, which has allowed me to go through my picture archives and reminisce a little. So, as I was glancing through... I found pictures of our past camping trips. I am posting them, without so much journaling. I regret not being able to remember how warm the air was, what the kids said that day, what we ate, or who all came. But, I do remember that we bonded as a family. We had a great time. My kids had smiles tattooed on their faces. We laughed, and played, and just spent time together!

You've got to love setting up camp. Our old trailer - ahh... the one that was paid for...

More picts of camp & Jason's two babies - he gave both up for adoption this year

Four-wheeling: Grandpa with a load of grandkids, and Jason with his wind-blown bunch!
"Doo-rags" & Sunglasses - requirements for a fun 4-wheelin' ride - Less grit to wipe off!
Fishing is always possible. Good thing Dad has a few more companions!
Jason - cliff jumping, and Megan - always finding any living thing she can & picking it up!

1 comment:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I wanna go camping!!!! I miss Lost Valley.
*sigh* I didn't make lot of those trips anyways. I was always up at school.
We WERE able to go to our friend's cabin this last weekend though. That was fun.
I'll post about it later.
Isn't nature beautiful!!