YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Watchful Hand

Last night was a LONG night for us. We spent the day at our Bishop's house branding cows. That was quite the fun adventure and the kids had a blast. I will post pictures later. We came home and for family home evening, started preparing for our family trip to go camping. After about an hour of rushing around and getting things packed, Jason came into the girl's room where I was packing clothes, and he said, "Well, change of plans. We're not going camping tonight afterall. My mom and dad just called, and I guess my dad just rolled his truck and trailer at the bottom of Midvale Hill. I have got to bring the utility trailer, so that I can help pick up stuff and bring it home." (This was about 9:15 PM).
We are so lucky that Emilee was able to drive up to get cell phone service and called us to come help. We QUICKLY made babysitting arrangements - thank you so much to Keric and his wife and children for rallying around us so fast. We had all of the kids in the tub & shower and Jason, Myself, Jaime, Mike, and Scott were able to rush out the door and go help.
By the time we got there, they had been there for almost 3 hours. Traffic had been stopped over 2 hours because the truck and trailer were smeared across the whole road. I can't believe how many workers they had cleaning things up. All I have to say is... There was a watchful hand watching over Jason's father.
His mom was riding in the truck with his dad, and they had stopped in Weiser so that they could grab a sandwich from Subway. Lori had decided to get in with Emilee and they were going to follow behind in their car. Ernie decided to go ahead in the truck and they figured they would catch him in the car after they picked up food. Talk about a blessing in disguise. It is such a good thing that she was not in the truck. With a watchful hand over him, Ernie was able to walk away from this with just a small scrape on the top of his head! He knows that a greater power was watching nigh last night.
In going down the hill, and without trailer brakes, and with driving only a half-ton pick-up (though his camper was not terribly big), he lost control and fish-tailed, and ultimately rolled over. Everything was spilt all-over the highway. Through financial struggles, which we have all had, he has down-sized and sold many of his nice items in order to continue to support and provide for his family. He once had a completely paid for NICE, NEW truck AND a completely paid for NICE, NEWER camp trailer. Both of which he enjoyed much, but sacrificed. This little set-up was make-shift, still paid for, but at least he had more money now to live off of. I am sure that it would have been more difficult for him to see all of his NICE stuff in the wreck. No matter what, we are so grateful for the watchful hand that was upon him, and his wife, and their daughter that night. It really is a miracle that he is alive.
Apparently the truck lifted off both of its tires before completely flipping upside down. Ernie cannot remember how he crawled out, nor which window he crawled out of. Lori shares how horrifying it was to drive up to such a horrific-looking mess all over the highway and recognize all of the contents. However, grateful and humble she was when, after scanning the road and trying to collect her emotions, she spotted her husband standing to the side already trying to salvage what was left. The truck was loaded with a NICE 4-wheeler, which was also munched in the mess. As you can tell from the pictures, there really isn't much left of the trailer. This is EXACTLY why it is against the law to have children ride in the camper while it is being pulled. (not that I know anyone who does it, but my kids ALWAYS ask if they can!)
Again, we are so grateful that he is OK. We gathered as much of their belongings as we could find - in the dark - and headed back just shortly after midnight. The middle picture (which shows the porcelain throne) is actually the original trailer and what was left after the crash. That is all that was left in tact. The other two pictures look like the trailer, but are really a collection of the debris that was scattered across the road, and later loaded onto a trailer.




As we drove home, we couldn't help but reflect upon how life changes in an instant. Are we prepared for the sudden changes that come? Are we ready to meet our Maker and Savior if it was our time? Obviously, this was not Jason's dad's time to go. If it was, this would have been a good opportunity. We are so grateful for family. We are so grateful for the gospel - that gives us an understanding and peace about life and death and the PLAN. We KNOW he had a watchful hand that night, and we have much humble gratitude. I know my savior lives. I know he loves us. I know that he knows our hearts and our lives. He watches over us.

4 comments:

Brielle said...

How scary, the story gave me chills. It is true that they were being watched over last night. I am so glad nothing happened to them physically although I am sure it is so hard to see all of their belongings crushed like that. The gospel is true and we are all so blessed to see it in our lives daily.

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

ya know.. I called Dad yesterday morning, and he said he'd give me a call in a little bit. He was on a time schedule.
He didn't call all morning. I thought he got busy and forgot. Which he does.
But then I got busy and forgot to call him back.
We had FHE at a friend's house around 7 and I had a feeling to call my Dad once more.
I ignored it.
:(
I kinda wonder what would've happened if I hadn't put it off..
I am SO glad my mom wasn't a part of it though. I didn't know she had gotten out and rode with Ems.
I'm SO thankful now though.
BIG blessing in disguise.
My heart dropped when Arron texted me.
All it said was, "your dad totaled the truck and trailer. but he's alright." THAT'S IT!
I was crying and my heart was pounding, I got mad for not being closer and a ton of other emotions went through me.
He was definitely watched over. I'm so glad he was protected. Even though our last words to each other were, I love you, I'm not ready for it.
I'm glad you guys were all able to go and help them salvage anything you could. Which doesn't look like it could've been much.
I love you both.

Anonymous said...

Lets just say I was still quite emotional even though I heard that dad was ok. Just the thought of losing him now, like that, would just wreck me for who knows how long. Definately something that was meant to strengthen all involved :) I just love my fam!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I love your new family picture :]
Great camping moments. The sunflowers are so big and beautiful!
Your little ones are growing up so fast! Ok maybe not to you but to someone who hasn't seen them since January! They are! :]
Like Mister tyler talking & walking REALLy good now, and miss Emma smiling and holding her head up!
Kimberly is just so dang cute! Megan is becoming so beautiful! Bryson, he is such a little man!
Man! The time sure does fly.

Hey, does Scott & Carly have a blog or did they just comment?