Today is a good day. Currently I am sitting at the small desk of a hotel with a beautiful view that reminds me of home (just without the snow)! I got the WONDERFUL PRIVILEGE of accompanying my husband to Orofino, Idaho (where???) for an instructor training course on the tazer. What a miraculous opportunity this has been for me: to ride along, stay, and play for FREE! There are very few things in life for free... and today, this just happens to be one of them. Although I have to pay for my own meals (with the exception of the free continental breakfast that I can enjoy every morning), the rest of the adventure doesn't take anything out of my pocket - nor my husband's pocket. And... all of his expenses are absolutely FREE. There is always a first for everything... and this is it... and I must say that it feels really good.
I woke up with my hubby and enjoyed a quiet breakfast with him overlooking the mountains, trees, and river. Unfortunately, he had to leave me for work (hence the reason we came), and so I was left to do whatever I chose to do... without any interruptions from little ones... a time just to focus on me. Ahhhhhh.... can't tell you how liberating it is!
I studied my scriptures and read the Ensign for nearly 3 hours... boy did that feel good... and fill up my cup. I finally exercised - ran/walked 1.5 miles (which isn't much... but it is a start, and that was what I needed). I must admit that the first 5 minutes I was ready to throw in the towel (given the fact that I haven't exercised forever, no do I like to), but once I talked myself into sticking it out... it began to feel really good. Then I took a quiet, cool down stroll outside to take in some fresh air and capture more closely the beauty of the scenery around me.
I headed up to the shower to wash up, shave, and spend as much time in the warm water as I wanted to... knowing that there would NOT be a little one knocking at the door demanding my attention. However, it was only minutes after I was out that there was someone fidgeting with the door knob (which is far too familiar also), which happened to be my loving husband on his lunch break, coming to sweep me away to enjoy lunch together.
Here I am, after lunch, and this is only the first day... but so far it has been great. Many thanks go to my in-laws who are caring for our children while we enjoy this mini paid vacation, which has been much needed! I have forgotten what it is like to care for yourself completely and how much better it makes you feel. It seems as though mothers tend to get preoccupied with caring for their husbands, little ones, and homes, that they often neglect themselves. But, when we take care of ourselves the way we want to, the way we know we should, the greater our ability is to take care of the rest of our responsibilities! And it has nothing to do with being selfish at all. It is truly being OUR BEST SELF! I do miss my little ones, but right now I am focusing on me... and my husband... and I have needed that SOOOOO much. Oh yeah... Life is Good!
2 comments:
I hope you both enjoyed your break away from the kids! I totally agree that we as mothers do need to take a time out for ourselves once in awhile. It makes us better mom's when we do!
Oh Lisa and Jason. I hope the rest of your vacation was just as good. It good to know you guys are doing well and are happy. I miss you guys adn hope the best for you and your family take care!
Post a Comment