YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Superman

Well, I have to confess. I have been harboring a secret for a while now and I need to record it, somewhere, so that I don't forget... years from now... what I now know. Here goes...

I am married to Superman. How fantastic is that! Really, it's true. I just discovered it today, and here's why...

#1 - He truly has X-ray vision. He has an amazing ability to see inside someone-to see their spirit, their goodness, and to see them as their Heavenly Father sees them - which is truly a gift.

#2 - He also uses this gift of X-ray vision to detect danger before it occurs and acts upon the promptings he receives.

#2 - He often drops everything he is doing to help someone in need.

#3 - He tries to help keep peace in the world by adding love and optimism, and by getting the "bad guys" off the streets.

#4 - Though not as chiseled and super-humanly strong enough to move buildings, he is still incredibly strong! He has the legs of a horse and can wrestle more than one guy at a time.

#5 - He is well-known for his good deeds and cheerful attitude, and is respected by most people in society.

#6 - He can change his clothes in the twinkling of an eye... from work clothes to church clothes... from church clothes to work clothes.

#7 - He is tall (not so dark) and handsome, slightly taller than the actual Superman, but as blue-eyed and by far more charming.

#8 - He has an infectiously contagious smile that can cheer up anyone having a bad day and brighten a room.

#9 - He can fly... in the door, and right back out... and off to another adventure, job, visit, or obligation.

#10 - He would move mountains for me, would stop a bullet for me, would rescue me from distress, would charm me with his witty smile, and would sweep me off my feet and fly me away in blissful happiness.

Secretly, I am Lois Lane, so naturally... he has to be Superman.

****************************************************************

This has been a very busy week for us, but mainly him. He has four jobs going at once and is trying to juggle them all, while still maintaining favor with his wife and children. I chuckled to myself as he came in the door from the second job he had finished today, set down his lunch box, and ran upstairs only to re-appear minutes later in his church suit. He inhaled a burrito as quickly as I could pour drinks for the kids, gathered his church bag, and was headed out the door again... only to be briefly stopped by Tyler.

Tyler is our "best part of the day/worst part of the day" Nazi. We barely finish the prayer before he is asking the person who is in charge of the day what the best part of their day was. We had to have prayer quickly so that Jason could eat, so Tyler was still handing out plates to everyone and got a little distracted, so he didn't ask the question right away. But, once he sat down to eat, he gladly started us off, "The best part of my day is that we are eating dinner as a family tonight." he said slowly and gladly.

Talk about cute. It's amazing, that even at 4 years old, they comprehend more than we think they do. Truly that was music to my ears. It has been a challenge, in deed, to have dinner as a family every night. Because Jason works for the Sheriff's office right now every Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night 4 pm to 2 am, he doesn't always get to slip home during dinner time to join us. Often times he can't come home until bed time, when we are having scriptures and prayer. We are usually lucky to catch him on Wednesday or Thursday night, if he isn't working one of his other jobs (Construction, Drywall, or the Farmer), or going to the church for meetings. But Friday night is our Family night... we always try to eat as a family that day. I was grateful that Tyler recognized that as a blessing and that that had made his day!

Shortly after he said that, Jason stood up from the table, took his plate over, kissed me goodbye, grabbed his church bag, and was stepping out the door, when Tyler yelled out, "Du-duh-Dad. What's the best part of your day?"

Jason's replied quickly, "That you and Emma came to work with me today."

And Tyler says, "An-an-an-and what was the worst part of your day?"

"That I can't stay and finish dinner with my family," Jason says, his voice trailing out the door.

With that, he was out the door, headed to the church for Bishopric Meeting and visits, and the rest of the dinner continued on, as it has on many other nights. I couldn't help but think of how he must feel... going from one thing to the next, not having any time to transition from one thing to the other. But, I do know that he doesn't like to sit still for very long and be idle, so I guess this busy-ness is tolerable for now. I wish that his patrol income would be sufficient to provide for our family, but unfortunately it is not, and so he works hard to provide from other areas as well, while still serving the Lord, and caring for our family. He takes the kids to work for his side jobs when he can, which is great for them, great for him, and great for me to have a break! And for that, I can't complain. I pray for him everyday... that he will have the strength to carry the burdens on his shoulders and fulfill the desires of his heart.

However, I do miss him... Superman... he is always trying to help, save, or serve somebody, and I admire him for that. And gratefully, I am comforted to know that he is madly in love with me (he told me so, again today, and I love him even more for that), and that's the best part of all... of being married to Superman!

No comments: