"But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." - Luke 22:32
"Everybody wants friends. Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow. While you should be friendly with all people, select with great care those whom you wish to have close to you. They will be your safeguards in situations where you may vacillate between choices, and you in turn may save them." - Gordon B. Hinckley
So, today I had an amazing experience with a close friend that I will treasure for the rest of my life. It was a moment where I was able to truly listen to her heart and her righteous desires for sheer kindess, love, and Christ-like charity. All too often we misinterpret, speaking for myself, what charity really is (and if you read in the bible dictionary, there is so much clarity to what charity actually is). For charity is not just the act of service that we do towards another, but is actually the pure love of Christ (which, when felt so powerfully, is what causes men to act in service towards others). I am amazed at the tenderness of her heart, and in spite of opposition, persecution, and negativity, she is able to stand a little taller - because she has a personal relationship with her savior, because she desires to shed the common reactions of the natural man to circumstance, and because she seeks to view others as their Savior sees them.
It is no coincidence that yesterday, in my scripture studies, that I was searching answers pertaining to my particular circumstance, but was coming up empty with what I was seeking answers for. However, I did discover a scripture (or several verses) that ambiguously applied to both of our very different situations. It was fantastic to be able to share my studies with her and that they applied so beautifully to her dilemma. It is also no coincidence that the quote that is referenced above comes from the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley's book "Stand a Little Taller", which is merely a theme, scripture, and quote for every day of the year. This just happens to be the quote for today, November 18, 2008, the very day that I was able to be a friend to a good friend. I read the quote every day, usually in the morning, but for some reason, I didn't read it until tonight. And it was another reaffirmation to me of our discussion today.
I appreciate her for her example, for her testimony, and for her desires to stand as a witness - at all times, in all things, and in all places. And to stand firm, mind you - immovable, always abounding in good works (or consciously trying, anyway) and to stand a little taller everyday. She has been a blessing and inspiration in my life. I am grateful for good friends who lift you up and who aspire you to greater things, who you leave being spiritually lifted up and edified. Truly a great friend is someone who helps you feel closer to the savior, who sees you as a divine child of God, and sees the great uniqueness - though different from us - that the Lord blessed you with.
3 comments:
That picture is sooo cute!
I almost cried when I saw that picture of your girls. I just love it. How are you doing? I don't get to see you much and hope that you are kickin' it happy! Yo! HAHA thanks for sharing your experience. Charity really has alot more to it than meets the eye because I don't know if I'll ever really understand the pure love of christ-other than with my son, which comes naturally-. I guess that is a goal to reach! I know that it can be obtained with much more forgivness-right! It really is amazing how much our savior loves everyone! No matter what! Thanks again for the uplifting thought.
Hope you had a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving. Did Jason play football? How are the sick bugs over there...gone I hope.
Post a Comment