YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Feeling Lucky?

So... I woke up this morning and felt lucky because...


I found our traditional "Family Lucky Gold Treasure Box" filled with treasure for my children, left by the wonderful leprechauns who come to visit us each year on this day.



The little leprechauns ate nearly all of the Lucky Charms we set out, and definitely didn't leave any marshmallows behind.


The little leprechauns knew exactly what to bring for my children and they even knew my children's assigned family COLORS! What better than to find the treasure WITH the rainbow? The boys each received a wallet, and the girls a purse - I am guessing to house the big BONUS BUCKS & FUN FREEBIES they have been earning and exchanging for money, for doing their EXTRA CHORES & ACTS OF SERVICE around the house! They each also found a punchball, again in their colors. Though small trinkets, they brought great joy... from sneaky little leprechauns to a handful of giddy kids!


Check out the girl in the background with an enormous smile as she is telling her Dad (who is in Boise right now at an Instructor Training) what the leprechauns left for her.

Also included was the traditional box of RUNTS (appropriate candy from the little guys themselves), a bag of golden, buttery popcorn, and a green dollar bill for each child (there is always something GREEN and GOLD left in the box).


I actually awoke EARLY, said my prayers, made my bed, got dressed, and went into the kitchen with enough time to fix a good, hot breakfast for my children and enjoy an unrushed morning with them!

I was so consumed with watching the joy and excitement on my children's faces, that while fixing our traditional St. Patty's Day breakfast, I forgot to make the pancakes green... so I left them gold and made the OJ green instead!



I took the kids to the bus stop, and because the bus had broken down and we had to wait EXTRA long, I was able to read EIGHT stories out of the FRIEND to them, instead of just one! We had a great spiritual feast to prep them to go out into the world of "school" and arm them with a testimony of truth!

And after waiting for over TWENTY minutes, we decided that perhaps the bus was going to be REALLY late, TOO late to get them to school on time. I drove back across the street and down the lane to load up the rest of the kids, so that I could take Bryson and Megan to school. And who would have guessed that the minute I started driving down the lane, Bryson looked over and says, "Mom, there's the bus. Hurry! Turn around!" Well, when your driveway (a.k.a. "the lane") is 1/3 mile long and narrow, turning around is not an option... you just drive 1/3 mile to the end, circle around the blue spruce and drive 1/3 mile back. Even my fast "down the lane driving" will not catch a bus going 55 mph down the highway in enough time. So... lucky me... I got to drive my children to school today... or should I say lucky them???

I was surprised to see a good friend in the ward in my driveway and participated in some enriching adult conversation this morning... always a plus!

My children enjoyed dancing to some of my favorite tunes, as I blared them in the school room, while I cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast... and busted a couple of moves myself!


I laughed and played on the floor with my baby, observing his curiosity and ambition as I witnessed the world from his view.


I spent "Time with Mom" with Tyler, also on the floor, as we played "I SPY" and "Guess the Letter that Starts the Word". He was glowing... to have mom's attention all to himself!


I fixed both of my daughter's hair today without my hands hurting!

I read my scriptures and the Ensign in peace and quiet, while my children finished their YELLOW (morning) chores and went downstairs to bounce on the bouncy balls they purchased with their own earned and spent money!

When I finished reading... I came downstairs to find this...

TWO kids sharing ONE space, ONE toy (ok, it's a book), and ONE moment TOGETHER! ... and it was peaceful (Immediate rewards for my obedience!)

I EXERCISED my physical body on the floor (if you call it that)... doing stretches, increasing my flexibility, and doing muscle strengthening and toning exercises... while my children carefully watched and tried to copy! (Definitely should have taken time out to get a picture of that!)

I took a nice, long, quiet and HOT shower... shaved my legs... put on yummy scented lotion... plucked my eye brows (yikes)... and checked my email and started blogging this.

I got to go to Donnelly today and do some dirty work for my husband... or just help him fulfill a work responsibility while he is out of town at Instructor Training.

My mother-in-law came to watch my children so that I could go to my first-ever Relief Society Presidency Meeting.

My mother-in-law helped me cook, serve, and clean up dinner.

My mother-in-law accompanied me to a spring concert for my two school girls. Unfortunately Megan's pictures turned out really dark, so Kimberly (in the bright green) is all I got.


Our day of Saint Patrick's Fun ended with Megan trying out Eli's pajamas... and we all had a good laugh before bedtime.


How lucky am I! Well, luck has nothing to do with it really. Some days are good and some bad... but together, makes GREAT EXPERIENCE! And there ya have it... am I feeling lucky? Nah, just really blessed to be enjoying my life - in its simplicity and entirety.

But... I am really missing my husband... guess I am not THAT lucky TONIGHT!?!?!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Super fun post! Glad to see ya back on here and for the little glimpse into your day! Miss ya

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Camryn is LOVING seeing ur kids' pictures. :) What a fun St. Patrick's Day!! Loved hearing how much fun they had and how much you guys got to enjoy the day together. Sounds wonderful!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Oh and Eli looks SO much like Tyler in his picture on the floor. but all the other times I've seen photos, he's a spitting image of miss Emma who looks just like her Daddy! :)