In 2008, our Pannell Family Theme was "Hearts knit together in unity and love" and our family scripture was Mosiah 18:21 "And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another."
Everyone in our home has a buddy. Naturally, Jason and I have each other (as we are partners for eternity). The older children help care for the younger children and the younger children rely upon their older siblings as mom and dad's "helping hands". Each month we change buddies, thus allowing each of the children to build close relationships with all of their siblings. Due to age and interests, it can be difficult to build special bonds between older and younger siblings, and the buddy system has proved to lessen that dramatically. And as a mother of a large family that is so close in age (the oldest just turning 8 years old a month before I had my 6th child), I just cannot do it all…without help.
Buddy System Example: Currently, this month Bryson has Eli, Megan has Emma, and Kimberly has Tyler
What buddies do…
- Help with mealtimes: put bibs on, help get into chair/booster and push in, serve food, wash up
- Help with naptime: remind to go potty, read a story to them, and tuck into bed
- Help with chores: assist in completing all chores on their chore board, and add encouragement
- Help with bedtime: remind to go potty, help brush teeth, prayers, & in bed
- Help with any other needs that the little ones may have (they are my helping hands – if I am tied up with someone or something else)
Implementing a buddy system has freed up my hands quite a bit and has taught my children many things: responsibility, nurture, preparation for babysitting and eventually parenthood, service, and being aware of someone else's needs besides their own. As a "buddy" they do not replace Jason or myself as the parent, they merely assist us in caring for the needs of other family members (i.e. when we are crossing the street, I cannot hold all six hands if I am by myself)
No comments:
Post a Comment