YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The U.S. Pannell

Having a large family requires structure and rules. For years I have tried to teach my children the value of "work before play" and the essence of teamwork. Although I felt I had achieved mild success, I knew in my heart that there was more out there a better waya way that would enable agency, accountability, work, and rewards. So, after lots of prayer, pondering, and reflection upon the gleaning from friends and a few good books, I developed a system of my own, that has gradually evolved and been adapted to our family's needs. It is a system that works for my family, which has brought sanity and peace of mind, responsibility and accountability, hard work and service, and structure and order to our home.

One of my favorite scriptures in the Doctrine and Covenants is: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God" D&C 88:119

We know that our homes can be temples. The Bible Dictionary tells us under Temple Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness. It has been our goal to transform our home into a temple, by incorporating all of the elements listed in the scripture above. We have thus dubbed our home the "U.S. Pannell" (United in Service). Our home is our ship, loaded with precious cargo - six children and parents (an eternal family) who love each other, and are working together to sail back home (to our Heavenly Father). If we each do our part, the journey becomes easier to bear and more enjoyable along the wayand we always ensure that we keep our focus on the lighthouse (the Savior), who guides our path.

This is our family journal, a place where I record important events in our lives. Although I have allowed opportunities to record special events pass me by, and have committed myself to someday fill in the missing gaps, I felt impressed to include this post as record of the structure of our lives and the things we do in our daily itinerary that have helped us to turn our home into our temple, so that one day my children might remember how we functioned and the "order" that made us a happy, eternal family.

No comments: