YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Monday, March 24, 2008

"By Small Means"

Well, I think our family has been reading in Alma for the past six months at least. We have been reading in Alma 37. You have to just love the chapters of Alma. How great were the battles, yet how marvelous the blessings of obedience and submission to the Lord's will! There are so many good verses that I can't help but desire to feast upon more once I, we, start reading! However, there is a little verse that somehow struck me quite powerfully at this point in our journey.

For family home evening this past Monday we were missing our two oldest girls. They had gone down to the valley to stay with Grandma Lori and their aunts for a few days before the rest of us could get down there. Uncle Michael and Uncle Scott had driven them down on Saturday. So, it felt a little empty for family home evening - with just Jason, myself, the boys, and baby Emma. But, it was a good time to do something with boy power!

One of Bryson's favorite scripture stories is David & Goliath. On the 4th Monday of the month we learn a scripture story for FHE and we talked about the story of David & Goliath. We first talked about how David was called to be the next prophet of God (how amazing is that!) Again, a YOUNG BOY totally prepared (foreordained) to lead a nation in righteousness. We talked about his strength and courage. Nobody wanted to fight Goliath, the HUGE Philistine warrior, who defied Israel and God! The feat seemed impossible for all.

But, after slaying a lion with his bear hands, David did not fear him and volunteered for the task. He knew the Lord would 1-protect him, and 2-allow him to defeat the giant! He trusted in the Lord's hand so much that he opted not to wear any armor, and went into battle with ONLY his staff, sling, and stones! What great faith David had-the faith of a GIANT, nonetheless. David says to Goliath "This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee...that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. And all this assembly shall know that the Lord saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give you into our hands." And we all know how the story ends...David defeats Goliath with the sling of his stone, smack between the eyes...and down the giant falls - DEFEATED! This young, small boy defeated a giant!

So, Jason (GOLIATH) had two little Davids equipped with rubber band slings and marshmellow stones attempting to kill the Philistine giant! Bryson definitely succeeded, but I think Tyler got a little pre-occupied with his marshmellow stones and decided to eat his only weapons (I'm sure he had full faith that Goliath would not overtake him!)
Jason - Goliath - "Roaring!"
Does this little David even look scared to you? He's roaring back. He's got the Lord on his side!


Bryson - aiming to kill!

Tyler - he knows the Lord is on his side. He's just gonna eat his marshmellows. Somehow, the Lord will provide a way!


Still eating... Still exercising faith!

Tyler takes his turn to be Goliath!


Bryson - going for a little more sling power!


We read in many places in the scriptures how by small things great things shall come to pass... The verse in Alma 37:41 says, "Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works. They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey;" and verse 42 says "Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did not travel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions."


I could not help but reflect upon my own life. What "Goliath(s)" are in my life that are staring me in the face and challenging me to deny the Lord's power to do marvelous works? I can't help but to think about the times that I have "murmured" to the Lord during the course of this journey and have been, at times, slothful and lacking in complete faith. It has been during those times that indeed, the Lord's marvelous works and tender mercies have ceased. And yes, we have tarried in the journey aimlessly, hungering and thirsting for spiritual enlightenment and ultimately, relief from our struggles!


I love this story so much because it reminds me of how each of us are like little Davids when challenged against Lucifer (Goliath). But, with the Lord's power, WE CAN DEFEAT HIM! We don't need any fancy, showy, heavy armor - we just need the Lord. We need to come to Him. We need to trust in Him. We need to have faith in Him. He has all the power to show us His marvelous works, but do we have absolute faith? Do we have absolute faith when there are five little mouths to feed besides your own, when your only car is broken down, when you don't have a reliable job or a way to pay your bills?


But, when we plead with him and show Him that we have the strength and courage to carry on, to do His will, and allow Him to take over our lives and direct us - He proves himself EVERYTIME. Maybe not in large quantities. Maybe not in a miraculous way. But, MARVELOUS, nonetheless. He lets us know that He is aware of us; He knows our needs. And through small things, great things eventually come to pass!


I bear testimony that I have witnessed His tender mercies AND His ability to bless us if we are obedient and faithful, and submit to His will! It's only when we think we can fight with our own strength that HE graciously allows us to do just that. So we "gear up" with all the armor that we think will help us succeed, and we stumble, and fall...and sometimes fall again. It is only after we recognize the error of our ways and seek His help, that we grab His hand-the hand that has been stretched forth for us all along-and allow Him to pick up the pieces! And if we are obedient and faithful, we will rely on Him to help us overcome even the LARGEST obstacles in our lives - one step at a time, line upon line, precept upon precept. "...And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things." (1Nephi 16:29)

P.S....I'm still waiting. I've seen a few small things. They are building something great - I KNOW IT! I just haven't seen it yet. But I am still looking - still hoping - still trying to be obedient - and still having FAITH!

2 comments:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Lisa..
I love hearing this beautiful bearing of your testimony.
You and Jason are two people whom I admire greatly.
Your strength really does help those around you and I am grateful you are allowing me to see into the lives of a family I want some day.
To have faith, the spirit, love, a great relationship, fun times, and such a wonderful light.
Your home has always been a place of comfort to me and support during times when I've really needed it.
I want to thank you for your friendship and the love you have had for me for, now most of my life.


Tyler had SO much faith to eat those marsh mellows :] Bryson is getting SO big! He's such a young man.
I love their costumes, and how fun that they can remember these wonderful stories and great FHEs by the memories of acting them out! You are both doing a wonderful job with your family and I want to say again, how thankful I feel that you are allowing me to see into it.

Your family is always in our prayers and our hearts. I can't wait to see you all again.
What a joyful day that'll be!
We Love you

Becky at Jones Land and Livestock, Inc. said...

So fun to read about your FHE. You guys are great!