It is hard to believe that Emma is almost six months old now. It seems like just yesterday that I was in the hospital waiting for her to come and join our family - not knowing beforehand what she would be or look like! I am reminded of how she would curl her little legs up and perk her little bum out (like a stink bug!) when I held her up. Her little forehead would wrinkle up (just like her daddy) and her arms would be stretched out and upward. I just love that early stage of infancy; it is perhaps one of my favorite parts of motherhood. I love to feel that little, tender body in my arms, that molds to me because she is not strong enough to hold herself up on her own. That little body that smells so fresh, new, and clean and is as soft as silk. So fragile... so dependable... so recently departed from our Father in Heaven.
Now her little head and body can hold their own weight, although her legs still need some time to strengthen themselves. She slowly begins to develop a small amount of independence, as parts of her little tiny body continue to develop and become stronger. And slowly, her personality is devleoping as well. Her eyes brighten as she recognizes that someone has acknowledged her existence, has said her name, or has spoken in a slightly-higher pitched "baby tone" that is more compatible with her kind of communication. Her face is written with smiles when she discovers that you are offering her attention. She giggles with delight when she is tickled under the chin. She "ooohs" and "cooh's" as expressions of intrigue, comfort, and gratitude that bring her joy. She cries when I leave her with someone and she knows that I am gone. Her head follows the sound of my voice. And although she is learning to be her own little person, she still relies on me for so much... for cleanliness... for nourishment... for support... for security... for love. She knows where I am. She knows who I am. I am her mother.
I often relate this to how we feel, as children of our Heavenly Father, even as GROWN children (a.k.a. ADULTS). We come here to earth so fragile, so dependable, and so recently departed from our Heavenly Father. We begin to develop our own strengths and personalities, with help from our earthly parents and acquaintances. Though it seems as though there are things that we can clearly do on our own, we still need help beyond our capabilities.
I think perhaps our eyes brighten as we acknowledge that we are indeed, children of God, as we feel the love of our Heavenly Father, and as His spirit speaks to us in the still, small voice. Our face is written with smiles as we continue to feel His love and recognize the blessings (attention) that we get from Him in our lives. We giggle with delight when we are tickled with the joy of righteousness. We "ooh" and "cooh" at our Father in Heaven as we humbly kneel before Him to express our inner delights and gratitude. We cry out to Him in prayer when we find ourselves alone and away from the comforts that only He can offer us. Hopefully our heads (and hearts) turn to the voice of the Lord-whether through Him or His servants-and focus on Him, having an eye single to His glory. And although we are trying to become our own person, we still rely on Him for so much... for cleanliness (the atonement) ... for nourishment (the scriptures) ... for support (prayer) ... for security (the Holy Ghost) ... and for love (the gospel). We know where we can find Him and feel of His love to the fullest (the temple). We know who He is-our loving Father in Heaven.
We have all been created in His image. How perfect. How pure. To look into the eye
s of a child and to see the love of our Father in Heaven is fantastic! To know that that little spirit was in His presence not long ago and to see the SINGLE-MOST AMAZING CREATION OF ALL TIME - the body (of flesh and blood)! The gift of LIFE. I am so grateful for the tiny little treasures that are in my life, that are constantly growing into bigger treasures! Oh, how rich I am getting!!! I get richer as the days go by. How great are the joyous moments that enrich my life, of the little treasures from heaven-children- that the Lord has blessed us with. I am grateful for the heritage from which my husband and I both come, for the posterity that my husband and I are now creating, and for the generations that are yet to come. And... I am grateful to be a mother.
3 comments:
I really enjoyed reading what you had to write about motherhood. I really like the way you write. I think all of those things and agree with them all but if I wrote it out it wouldn't sound like the way you put it. That is definitely a talent. I can't believe Emma is almost 6 months either. She is so cute.
Like wise to what you and Brielle said. Life is amazing and we have so many treasures, not just our own children but those of other famliies as well and just our whole families. Love yah girl!
Lisa you do have a great gift of writing your feelings and blessings so poetically.
I love reading your blogs.
They definitely help put things into prospective or myself.
I try to acknowledge and appreciate my my 'treasure' everyday :]
She's already 1 month! Can you believe it?
Seems like yesterday I had this little body plopped onto my stomach in our first meeting face to face.
After 9 months of waiting to see this little angel..
I very much understand the 'molding moments' :]
and the dependability she has on me and Jordan for everything right now.
Emma is getting so big! She is such a cute mix of you both :]
[I love the stinkbug pose!] Camryn does it all the time :]
Once again, sending our love from Arizona!
Love you both!
Post a Comment