YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Thursday, April 3, 2008

"Seek ye for the kingdom of God"

I am so excited to say that we FINALLY made it to the temple for Jason's Birthday. Above all of the challenges that we have faced since we moved here, perhaps one of the hardest ones for me has been being so far away from the temple. Jason and I have, in recent years, set a goal for ourselves to go once-a-week. However, since moving over two hours away and not having much money to pay for gas to travel often, we have not been able to go as often as we would like. But, just like anything that you LOVE that you have not had for a while, it was pure SWEETNESS and JOY! It's only been a little over a month, but it seemed like a year!
We did an initiatory session - which is one of my favorite things to do. I love to be reminded of the wonderful blessings which are ours! I love the peace and serenity, and most of all, the closeness I feel to my savior when I go to the temple. There isn't a greater place on earth! To be able to walk through the doors and leave the world behind is like shedding a layer of skin that is dried out and yucky. And when we leave, we are refreshed, nourished, and cleansed. FANTASTIC and MARVELOUS! What a privelege it is - to go to the house of the Lord and to feel His Spirit SO strong. Definitely something that is contagious and addicting... something you hunger and thirst for once you have tasted it.
I finished a little bit before Jason, so I was able to sit and read the scriptures while I was waiting for him to be done. And while reading I discovered a wonderful verse that I have heard many times before, but for some reason, on this day, at this time in my life - brought new meaning to my heart. I have been studying what I call the "little books" in the Book of Mormon (the short books right after 2nd Nephi.) I absolutely love the book of Jacob. And that day, this verse penetrated my heart in a different way...
Jacob 2:18 says "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God."
Well, that was a little bold. There are a lot of footnotes within that scripture, as there are cross-reference scriptures. I proceeded to look up all of them. I was absolutely amazed with my discoverings and I began thirsting for more insight! What a time to read such a powerful scripture - a time when we are jobless (and seeking for some kind of riches to pay the bills.) Is that really such a bad request? And I, instantly, felt so humbled and SO loved.
This journey and struggle that we have had has been such a blessing to us in our lives. We have always been blessed... with children, with the gospel, with testimony, with family and friends, with trials, and with the ability to pay our bills (until now). But, as Jason and I are both reminded in our patriarichal blessings - that we will ALWAYS have SUFFICIENT for our NEEDS. And we have ALWAYS been blessed with that - even now! He never said we would have everything that we want! But, I think when we start to focus a little more on the things that we want, rather than need, sometimes the Lord has to intervene!
Having been called by the Lord to move up to the mountains has been such a wonderful blessing for so many reasons, not to mention an answer to my husband's prayers. He desires to serve the Lord so much and is willing to serve in whatever capacity he is asked (even if it is the Primary Chorister!) And... he also LOVES the mountains. Did I say LOVES? Can you find a word stronger than that? So, getting to move up here has been such a blessing. I wasn't too keen on the idea at first, but now I'm not so sure you could get me to move back! (But, if the Lord asked, we would go!)
And now that we live up here (closer to my husband's dream life) he has gotten the taste of sweet joy and wants to completely enjoy everything that mountain living has to offer. But, I often feel like the Lord says, "Now wait a minute. I brought you here. I have shown you a little glimpse of the joy I have to offer you... IF ... you are obedient... IF... you are faithful... IF ...you submit to my will and allow me to use you to carry on my work!" So, I honestly feel as though we are on our proving grounds; like we are being molded.
So, at a time when we have no money, we are still rich with love and blessings. Rich with testimony that the Lord loves us. We have seen his tender mercies in our lives. We KNOW that He has the power to do ALL things and that we can bind him to the promises that He has made to bless us, IF we are OBEDIENT, IF we are faithful, and IF we willingly GIVE our lives to Him! And at this time in our lives, we are seeking for His kingdom in ALL things, knowing that the riches (job or means of an income) will come in time! Jacob 2:19 says "And AFTER ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good--to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."

I had to capture this day: the answers I received - the joy I felt - the peace that came! I love my dear husband for his desire and dedication to serve the Lord, for the way he uses and honors his priesthood, and for his willingness to keep his temple covenants. I love him for his desire to be a better husband and father, and for the unity we share both as a couple and as our little family. What a great day!



Love this! My husband had to get a picture. We have all seen it many times, but today we truly treasured the words-the sight-the peace-the joy-the SPIRIT!

3 comments:

Becky at Jones Land and Livestock, Inc. said...

What a neat picture of you guys! What a neat time at the temple! I loved your insights!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Oh what a beautiful day!
Holiness to the Lord!
I still feel really bad about not calling on Jason's birthday :[
I had it written on my calendar and everything.
I missed Lexie's, Tyler's, AND Jaime's.
Sometimes this whole mileage thing stinks.

Anonymous said...

Last night I finally had the chance to sit down and read your blog.One word...beautiful! You asked me to ask you once in a while about the great things we talked about...I told you I wouldn't need to...and that is proven in your amazing words and feelings.

I LOVE Lisa Pannell!