YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kids will be Kids!

In crossing the house, arms filled with yet another box to empty, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. Emma is peacefully sleeping in my room and the other kids are doing what they have done EVERYDAY that we have been here... Play outside! At the base of the hill I spotted little Tyler, bundled in his red hoodie, pushing his little blue trike up the hill. Now the hill is grass, but do you think that matters to a 2-year-old who lives for a 2-year-old thrill? No way! It took him a few mintues to push the bike up, and once he reached the top, he turned the bike around and.... "Weeeeeeeeeee!" He screamed his way, mounted atop the trike, down the hill to the bottom (maybe at 2 mph for a 20-yard ride). But, nonetheless, he was loving it. I watched carefully as he pushed back up to his spot, turned around, and rode down again. It truly touched my heart.

What a blessing that we have been given - this house - this land, and at such an inexpensive price! What priceless memories there are to be created here. My heart is so full. I watched for too long, however. About the time I left to search for my camera and came back, he was gone... off to the "tree fort" area that they spend most of their day (climbing the trees, swinging from the trees, building things, playing house, and whatever else children's imagination can create.) They were so excited that Dad took them out on the pond last night (all piled on his little pontoon boat, except Emma - who got to watch from shore inside her stroller). They are loving it!

So, amidst the unpacking of boxes, I have concluded that it will get done when it gets done. Right now, this room with 180 degrees of windows is like my little looking glass. Sometimes I join them, and other times I like to just watch them. This house offers me both. I am so grateful that my kids have a place to play, a place to get dirty, swing from trees, explore new things, play with wildlife, and for the kids to just be kids. For now, I sit here, with a smile tatooed on my face, tears in my eyes, and gratitude filling my soul.

2 comments:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Aww! How cute :]
I wish you could've captured his fun moment.
I can't wait to see the house, the kids, you guys, Jason's uniform, the pontoon boat, the pond, the tree house, and the rest of the family's new things!
Love you guys and thanks for sharing your little moments :]

Anonymous said...

LOOOOOVE IT! Your post was beautiful as I could imagine every detail perfectly! I'm coming over sometime this week. Can't stay away any longer.