YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Watching Rainbows!

So, life has been busy and full of lots of stuff! I have been quite a slacker at blogging, journaling, scrapbooking - whatever you want to call it. This summer has proved to be very busy. We took our "summer of the family" trip that our Stake President counseled us to take. Jason finally started his new job. And we have been up and down the valley several times moving stuff, buying groceries, going to the temple, attending funerals, amongst other things. I have tried to make more time for my children and just enjoy my family. We took a trip as a family to see the new Twin Falls Temple Open House this last week. I will blog more about it later, but it was fantastic. I could say that if there is one lesson that I have learned this summer it is this...

Work can wait while you show a child a rainbow.
But the rainbow won't wait while you work!

I have soaked up every minute with my children. I have taken pictures. I have laughed. I have loved. I have cried. I have treasured every moment... even the ones that keep me pulling my hair out. Because you never know when that precious moment will be your last with that child. You never know when the Lord calls one of His children back home. So, laugh a little when they are covered in mud, get a little less angry when they don't pick up their clothes off the floor for the umpteenth time, cherish the kisses on the cheek at bedtime, treasure the times when they say, "Mommy, help me?" Even when you are exhausted, tired, and impatient. Or even when you have told them one too many times and they still haven't listened. They are such a special gift from our Heavenly Father.

Perhaps when girls camp is over... when we get moved (because we are getting kicked out of this rental house because the house is in foreclosure, thanks to our landlord, who has been pocketing the rent money we have been paying him for the last four months!)... when school starts back up and I have a few less children at home to enjoy rainbows with. Perhaps while they are napping, I might have time to sit down and recap our whole summer's adventures! But, for now... I am trying to watch the rainbows... in all of their color, beauty, mystery, shapes and sizes, and joy.

2 comments:

Brielle said...

Thanks Lisa for that post. I think I really needed to read it. Right now after just having a baby and adjusting to everything off of no sleep, I do really need to remember to cherish every moment I have with my children. I have to say as I read your post I started crying because I haven't been having those feelings. Now I am going to make more of an effort to focus on the great times with each of my awesome children.
Where are you guys moving? Still in the same neighborhood?

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

YOu enjoy those rainbows missy!
:] I get all teared up EVERY time I read your blogs.
LOVE them! I feel the spirit just radiating from the screen :]
We love you guys and feel very privileged to be asked for such great things!
Can't wait to see yall at Thanksgiving!