So, after Jason starting a new job, going to a family funeral, and preparing for girls camp - we got a notice from a local deputy that the house that we are currently renting is going into foreclosure. We began searching for another house right away, as our Property Manager insisted that we move out by the end of July. However, we told him that by law (and according to our contract which was now breached by our landlord), we have to receive 30 days notice before having to get out. I just wanted to get through girls camp, but knew we had to do something before school started!
The classifieds had the same ads two weeks in a row. There just didn't seem to be anything within Bryson's school district, or within our ward boundaries. But, I tried to think outside the box. I began calling properties that I knew might be listed in the other school district, but if they were south of town, would still be within our ward boundaries. The second ad I found was listed:
4 bedroom, 3 bath, 4 car garage, close to town,
horses permitted, on 80 acres. $1,100/month.
Naturally, I called on it. The 80 acres, "close to town", just had to be "south of town", which is where I needed it to be. I called from home, got no answer, and left a message. Then Jason and I loaded up the kids to go look at one that I had seen in the paper the week before, but hadn't looked at. In the car, I called the number again (this time from Jason's phone). Still no answer. So, I left another message. About 10 minutes later, after driving by the property I had seen before, I decided to call again - this time from my cell phone. Ah ha! Someone finally answered! It was the realtor. He explained the property, told me the situation, told me where it was, and I told him what our situation was, and asked him if I could meet him there right away to see it. I was very persistent in my calling because I had a good feeling in my heart everytime I read the ad. My father has always taught me that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and that "the early bird gets the worm". And I was going to learn very quickly that my persistence would soon pay off.
He agreed to meet me there and as I drove up to the house, my stomach filled with butterflies and my excitement was hard to contain. I felt like a child waiting to unwrap the biggest, coolest birthday present ever. I didn't know what was on the inside, but the outside was beautifully packaged with some of my favorite colors (blue and white) and a gorgeous bow (a wrap-around country porch!) The spirit bore witness to me that "this was the place".
I could hardly contain myself. The house is what locals know as the old Mitchell Ranch. It is three stories (with a bonus-attic-room). It sits in the middle of 80 acres. The house, itself, sits on about 3 acres, with a large pond in the back, two fenced horse pastures, a hay barn & feeding stall, orchard trees, a garden, and a wrap-around country porch (did I already mention that that was my favorite?) AND a four-car garage. One of the garages has a huge work bench and a large "tinkering" area designed just for someone like my husband.
As I stepped out of the car, my excitement grew. I could see the mountains, without another house to obstruct my view, I could smell the raspberry bushes, I could feel the gentle breeze in my hair, I could hear the sounds of birds chirping, and a few cows, and I could taste the joy that my heart felt. Here was a place that I could raise my children, a place that was away from everyone, a place where my family could grow, and learn how to work, and a place that was affordable. It was a subtle reminder of the childhood that I loved so much. I hadn't even seen what was inside the package yet, but I instantly knew I wanted to keep the gift!
The inside proved to be equally awesome and impressive. There was so much space. The realtor could not tell me what the exact square footage was, but I knew it was BIG... BIG enough for a family of seven to romp and run and enjoy a little bit of space! Three stories - the daylight basement is like a little apartment (with its own garage, storage, kitchen, dining area, washer/dyer, bathroom, etc). The top two floors have plenty of room for our family and for company to come! It is unkown how old the house actually is, of course I am sure I could find out if I truly tried. However, I do know that it was remodeled about 10 years ago. We concluded that it must be at least 30 years old, or more. But, to me, the age didn't matter. All that mattered, is that I had found a Diamond... in the rough.
Sure, every house can use a little fixin' and TLC, after it has been lived in, and even more so, once it gets old. It is a little rough around the edges. However, the best part is that WE get to live in it... AND enjoy the land around it - the pond, the horse pasture, the fruit trees... My husband is a handy man and he loves to tinker. This is the perfect project for him.
The story behind the house and land is that someone who use to live here bought it years ago and moved to Sun Valley. They paid cash! Today, if you wanted to buy all of it, you would have to fork over $6,000,000! That is neither advertised, nor on the market, but if your pockets run deep, and if you happen to hear about it by word of mouth, more power to ya! The guy bought it to develop into a subdivision someday... five years... maybe even ten years from now. Who knows - whenever the market gets back on its feet (which, clearly, is going to be a while.) But, for now, he is allowing someone to live in the house - at a great cost ($1,100/month). That is better than any house payment! AND... he doesn't care what happens to the place. When all is said and done, and they develop, they are going to demo the place. So, if we want to have grass, we will. If we want weeds, we will. If we want to paint it, we will. If we want to fix it up, we will. All at our own expense - knowing that we won't be compensated beyond getting to pay very little money for such a great place!
We are very fortunate to have this place. This realtor had received five calls that morning (two of them mine) and eight more while he was showing ME the house. (all by 11 AM). By the next morning he had had 42 calls on the place. And, I am so grateful that he had to tell everyone that he had already rented it. He liked the fact that he worked with a guy from our ward (who gave Jason a good character reference), and that Jason worked for the county (meaning he would get a paycheck.) And... this realtor does volunteer search and rescue for the sheriff's department, so he knew most of the guys that Jason works with. He loved knowing that a large family would be in there to take care of the place and thoroughly enjoy ALL of it.
What a blessing we have received! A diamond, nonetheless. Diamonds are ageless and priceless. The memories that this house offers us are priceless. Though the house has aged, it still has great value. It may not be flawless, it may not be colorless, and it may not be cut just right (you'll know if you see the roof-line), but it is still a DIAMOND (in the rough), nonetheless. It still has great value and worth, and we are so grateful to the Lord for sending it our way, as an answer to MANY of our prayers.
I testify that the Lord does hear our prayers. On His time table, however, not on ours. But, first, we have to prove FAITHFUL and worthy of his blessings! If we are prayerful and search in the scriptures for our answers, the Lord blesses us SO much. And sometimes, we have to patiently wait for those answers. But, when they come... the windows of heaven are open and the sun shines down on our hearts, and we are humbly filled with gratitude and joy!
The house is blue & white - a good, old fashioned country-style home! And Jason on the front steps of our new rental house! The yard needs a lot of work, but we are willing and able!
The 4-car garage (or three-car & a workshop). And plenty of shelving for storage!
One for my suburban, one for Jason's truck, and one for Jason's patrol truck.

This is the back of the house: daylight basement with its own garage, main level with wrap-around covered porch, upper-level with a balcony off the second master, and the top-level attic. Look closely & you can see Megan on the main deck - so tiny compared to this gigantic house!

This is the covered porch on the side of the house. It wraps around to the front and across the back, and has bench seating all along the side and front. Bryson & Kimberly are posing! The house is all vinyl, which is nice!

This is the backyard view of the mountains & pond (currently covered in lilly pads)

What a view... what a blessing! We are so grateful for this priceless and valuable blessing in our lives, and will enjoy it (with all of its beauty AND flaws), and can't wait to make memories here!
1 comment:
BEAUTIFUL! :]
Can't wait to see it more closely in November!
Sorry we won't get to share Christmas in it, or around you guys. But we will bring gifts at Thanksgiving!
It's so pretty. WAY more land than I was thinking. :]
GOod thing for all those fourwheeler & horseback rides :D
Miss you guys like crazy!!
Bryson: Mister! You are getting so tall!! You're growing like a weed! A very HANDSOME weed. I bet you can run so fast! You are gonna have lots of land to run on and explore. Tell me what you find!
Megan: Stop growing until We can see you!! :} You are becoming a little lady and looking SO pretty with your blonde hair and fabulous smile. I miss painting toenails with you.
Kimberly: You have such a beautiful smile missy. I miss playing dress up with you and jumping on the trampoline. I wish I could do your hair and tickled you until you laughed.
Tyler: I can't believe you;re starting to talk! Oh my goodness! I swear I left you crawling and No where NEAR saying words! :] Crazy!
Miss Emma: I barely got to know you little one. It's very weird you're crawling. oh man. We've missed out on lots. But it's awesome that we can see pictures! :]
I can't wait for you guys to meet baby Camryn! To help me paint her toes, to play with her and make her smile. She needs to meet all her wonderful cousins!
I miss having you guys sleep near me when you came over to Grandma Lori's.
We love you guys and hope you have a great week!
Post a Comment