YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ode to my Mother

Today I have been thinking about my mother. My hands are slowly drying out and trying to crack. It doesn't matter how much lotion I put on them, they are SO dry. They are "dishwashing hands". Our dishwasher has not been hooked up yet. My husband is not a plumber and knows not why the water isn't getting to the dishwasher, nor has had the time to figure it out. The dishwasher clearly runs - but with no water. Perhaps there is a problem with it - who knows. And that might be the cause of the "bubble" in the floor. But, the one chore around the house I really don't mind is dishes. Until you have to hand wash ALL of THEM, for SEVEN of us, THREE meals a day (plus snacks & desserts)! I still don't even mind the labor, but I despise what it does to my hands... the hands that have to take care of my family.

I think of my mother because she is very old-fashioned. She has the COCOA disorder, probably worse (yeah, definitely worse) than me. Every meal she has to fill the sink with hot soapy water and let the dishes soak (each one) before scrubbing them, rinsing them, AND then PUTTING THEM IN THE DISHWASHER. It's madness, I tell you. Who would want to wash dishes twice. It's not just that her dishwasher doesn't work well, she would never know, because the dishes are clean before they even go in! But, I love her. She has taught me how to be a good house-keeper and mother (inspite of her COCOA disorder). Thankfully, I have a learned well from her how to have a routine (otherwise I would lose my mind with five little kids - 7 and under!).

But, everyday when I stand at the sink and wash dishes, I think of her. Especially today. I think of how she CHOOSES to go through this WASH, SCRUB, RINSE process for every meal AND still put them in the dishwasher. I am grateful for dishwashers (both electrical and MANUAL)! And... I am grateful for my mother - who is full of goodness, thoughtfulness, and complete ORDER!

1 comment:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

love to give 'odes' : ]
I understand completely and advise you to use cetaphil lotion.. I think that's how you spell it. My dad used it for his sheet rock cracked hands and it has helped tons. You just have to be religious in putting it on every morning and night.
Love you Lisa and your sweet thoughts.