YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

True Happiness

The happiest people don't necessarily
have the best of everything...

... they just make the best
of everything they have!
Today I am feeling a little overwhelmed and stressed. I wanted to remind myself of this day and of the happiness that can be mine... if I MAKE it. Although I have unpacked many a box, I am still far from order. I don't handle chaos or stress for very long and am feeling it screaming at me today. My kids have had less structure and more freedom, less routine and more spontaneity, less work and more play, less obedience and more independence than I can handle at this point, or even that I allow them. But, when mom's live is in chaos, how do I expect their lives to be in order? I have to remind myself that this is a process, and that it takes time. My desire to have the house decorated and in TOTAL order before school starts is my C.O.C.O.A. disorder (CRAZY OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE OVER-ACHEIVER) kicking in. So, I can take a deep breath and remember baby steps. I have to make the best of what I have! I got ALL winter to figure this out - what else am I gonna do??? Sometimes when we focus so much on the BIGGER picture (which is good, of course) we often miss the little details that are necessary and vital in the WHOLE scheme of things. Today, my focus has been on the whole picture - I am looking through a HUGE pair of glasses, and I can see everything that I WANT to see. But, when I observe through a modest pair of spectacles, I get a little discouraged that I can't see the big picture, because it's just not all there.
I absolutely LOVE this picture of Kimberly. She was about two-years-old in this picture and she was fascinated with Bryson's glasses and wanted a pair of her own. The only ones she could find (and borrow) where Mr. Potatoe Head's. I have to just laugh and remind myself that we can have happiness EVERY DAY, if only we choose to "SEE" life that way.

3 comments:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

How funny!
I busted up laughing when I saw her!
She's so funny. Always wants to be in on what the big kids have/doing : ]
Miss you guys, and guess what?
We can help you decorate or rearrange, or clean WHATEVER when we come in November! I know it's a long time away [so it seems] but just think of all the help we can provide!
:]
Love you all!
ps were the kids able to read my messages to them?

Kellie said...

I understand the COCOA syndrome! Of course not quite as bad as yours ;) but I understand! I'm finally on the end of mine from this summer, it does get organized and you have the right attitude, keep those HUGE glasses on. Good luck and let me know if I can help!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Seriously, I get a huge grin on my face and can't help but giggle a little at that picture! MIss Kimberly is so funny.