YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy 31st Birthday, Jason!

Jason's birthday was Monday, the 29th of March and we attempted a celebration, that I thought might not take place at first, simply because...
... Well, I told Jason that he should take the night off, simply because it was his birthday. But, knowing Jason, he doesn't like to take time off if he doesn't have to (even if it is his birthday). He reassured me that it would be ok still because he asked for permission to take a 2-hr dinner break to come and join us for his birthday (isn't that nice of him?)
My brother's wife and children were in town, as well as Scott, Carly, and Spencer. Mike and Jaime came with Hannah and Gavin, and Ernie and Lori were there. I had a house full of people. Jason was supposed to be home at 6:30 to start BBQ-ing so that we could eat at 7 PM. It's 6:35 and no sign of Jason yet, so I called ... but no answer.
Ok. No problem. I can get things going. Start the BBQ grill. Check. Cut up the fruit. Check. Get the condiments out. Check. Start the Deep Frier. Check. Now it is 6:45. Call Jason... no answer. Keep going. Set out the plates. Check. Set out the silverware. Check. Guests start arriving. Check. Still no Jason. So, I call again... no answer.
With his job there are many variables. If he gets a call, he cannot answer his phone. I get that. But, he usuallly isn't on a call for more than 10-15 minutes. What's the deal? Then the phone rings... it's Jason. He says, "I'll be home in just a minute." Alright. Guest of honor... and cook... is finally on his way. Check.
Jason comes home and walks in the kitchen. I ask why he wasn't answering his phone and he replies, "I was on a suicide call." "Oh," I thought, well then that makes sense. Then his phone rings again, he walks into the other room to answer it, I continue preparing the dinner, and he walks back through the kitchen and says, "I'll be back".
"Uhhhh... Ok. Do you know when?"
"Nope. Just start without me." he says. Uhh huh. Start without you... the guest of honor... the man of the hour... the birthday boy... the reason for the celebration. Hey, no worries... we will just open up your presents, too! And out the door he goes.
Meanwhile I have a lot of hungry guests (family members) at my home. Graciously, Jason's dad steps in to help cook the burgers. Phewww! I can handle the deep frier... afterall, who can mess up french fries? Fifteen minutes later the door opens again and he's back. YAY! My heart is happy! "I might be driving down to Boise tonight, so let's make this quick." He tells me as he takes off his radio.
"What?" I asked. "Driving down to Boise tonight? Why?"
"Yeah. We have to transport her down to Boise." (the crazy suicidal lady)
But, you can't (I am thinking to myself). It's your birthday... and we are having a party... and there are gifts... and everyone is here to see you... to spend time with you... and I want you to be here!
Well... it worked itself out. The crazy suicidal lady did have to be transported down to Boise, but although Jason was the one who took the call, he did not have to take her down. Cody, one of his fellow patrolmen, graciously accepted the task to drive her down, so that Jason could stay and party with us for his birthday.
The party was short and sweet. Dinner. Presents. Dessert. And in a little over an hour Jason was back out the door, the guests all left, and the party was over. But, he came... we had it... and then he left.
This is the Elk Bugle his parents & brothers got him for his birthday. Thanks to his brother, Scott, who thought it was odd to be shopping for hunting items at a gas station, picked this up. This is the very item he has had his eye on for months at the Chevron Gas Station at Beacon Light (the last gas station before you head up the mountain to McCall). He has stopped there many times and has desired to purchase it, but it has never been in our budget... good thing for birthdays!
This is the 2nd of the 3 things he ASKED for for his birthday:
A new tie chain (he broke his last one I bought him many years ago - it had his initials on it and he was rather fond of it)
Trying to guess what is inside... he didn't have a clue!
I bought him the CLEAR PLAY DVD Player, so that we can TOTALLY clean up ALL the movies that we rent!


Jason's personal birthday cake:
A root beer float (upon request, of course)


***the 3rd request was a box of cinnamon CERTS, since we cannot find them anywhere... except for the CHEVRON Gas Station in New Meadows. He personally paid someone to buy him as many as they had in stock... which sadly only turned out to be 8 rolls. But, seriously... who shops at the CHEVRON?***


1 comment:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Ha ha ha oh man! Jason! He would shop at a Chevron! :) the Bugle call & the certs! What a guy! :) Simple & sweet. hehe
Glad we sort of got to be part of it though. :) and what a depressing way to start the fun festivities! Suicide, and a birthday no-show, for part. Glad it worked its self out! Love you guys