YOUR GREATEST ASSETS

"Mothers and fathers, do the best you can, and remember that the greatest assets you have in this world are those children whom you have brought into the world and for whose nurture and care you are responsible." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"Little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ." - Doctrine & Covenants 74:7

Saturday, April 3, 2010

PASSIONATE about COLOR!

I have some STRONG O.C.D. tendencies, which I can attribute to my mother (and my sister) and one of those is my passion for COLOR. Ever since my children were babies I have had an assigned color for each one of them...
BRYSON - BLUE
MEGAN - PINK
KIMBERLY - PURPLE
TYLER - GREEN
EMMA - YELLOW
ELI - RED
From the day they came home from the hospital, they came home in an outfit of their color with a matching blanket. The obsession has only snow-balled from there. It now includes just about everything they call just their own (with the exception of clothes), unless I can't find it. However, I will search high and low for things that match, and often times if I can't find them, I make them. It has been SO much fun, I have given Jason and I a color as well...
JASON - ORANGE
LISA - AQUA/TEAL
This has eliminated all confusion of ownership. Although my children have assigned colors of ownership, that does not go to say that their assigned color is their favorite color. And what is wonderful is that each of them don't mind having an assigned color. If there is something they are wanting to buy for themselves, then they do so (irregardless of what color it may be). Tyler's assigned color is green, but he LOVES orange! (I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he LOVES his Dad - who loves Boise State and whose color is orange - and he LOVES the flavor of orange). But... he is totally content to be green.
CANVAS BINS



STORAGE BASKETS

SUNDAY PACKETS


CHORE BOARDS



CHORE CHIPS


EASTER BASKETS & EGGS:
(they know which eggs they hunt for, and of course, they hunt for their own color)


SNACK BOWLS


WATER BOTTLES


It doesn't matter what it is: backpacks, sippy cups, blankets, cups, water bottles, bowls, snack bowls, organizer bins, chore boards, chore chips, Sunday packets, bath towels, scripture squares, tooth brushes, family home evening board names... if it has ownership to one of my children ONLY, then it HAS to be in their color. Anything that can be considered a hand-me-down is never color specific, simply because I know that the next child (which may be a boy) really doesn't want to wear something that is pink or purple. That is when I try to use unisex colors: black, navy, red, etc.
Some think I am crazy. Some think I am weird. Some think I am too particular. Some think I am WAY TOO organized. Some think I am impossible. But... I really don't care what SOME or even ALL of them think. It makes me happy...
  1. to see the colors of the rainbow in my home
  2. to see everything organized in its place
  3. to not have my children fighting over whose is whose
  4. to see my little children able to recognize ownership
  5. to have each child enjoy individualized ownership of their own stuff

When it all comes down to it... I love it. It is a little crazy. It is a little weird. It is a little particular. It is WAY TOO organized. But... it is possible and it is my happiness...

...being passionate about COLOR!


3 comments:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I love it honestly. Although sometimes I agree it is way too much, for ME to do, but it works for you guys and that's all that matters right!? :) Plus it definitely helps when they would go to my mom's and stay over, they all had their own things & no one fought over it, plus helped us remember who's was who's.
So Eli is red and has orange eggs eh? ;) don't worry, I'll let it slide :D haha
ps Love Emma's LITTLE chore board. Did she get gipped? :)

Camille said...

you are amazing!! You didn't show your baby's 1st outfits and blankets.

Jen Rutter said...

oh Lisa- a woman after my own heart! I think you are brilliant! I wished I would of thought of that!