I awoke this morning early, so that I could get my morning routine done before the kids woke up. About 6:45, Bryson peeked his head around the corner and said, "Mom, it's morning, right? Today is my first day of school. Am I late?" He quickly dressed and ate his breakfast, spotting a dead mosquito on the counter that I had previously killed. "Hey, Mom, did you see this little guy. I wonder what he was?" Such random little things. He was so excited for school that he couldn't hardly think straight! He was ready a 1/2 hour early. We took pictures and drove down our long driveway to meet the bus... and he was off...
Megan dragged out of bed a little later and a little sleepier. She is by far, not quite the morning person that her brother or her DAD is! She is much more like me. Nevertheless, she was excited to know that it was her school day, too. The kindergarten class was only meeting for half of the class, so the parents and kids could meet the teacher and become more familiar with the room. So, we didn't have to take her until 10:00. She asked me at least 8 times if it was time to go yet! Just before we left, we took pictures of her, too.
She wanted me to take a picture of this pose.
She says, "Ok, Mom. Now you gotta take one like this.")
She truly enjoyed her teacher and I did, too. I am just as excited for the kids this year. I am glad that Megan can be with someone else who she can listen to, learn to follow instructions better, and become more sociable. The kids were fantastic at the school, far more behaved than I anticipated, so it was very enjoyable for me to be able to focus on the excitement on Megan's face.
Bryson rode the bus home and I was so grateful to find out that Kelsi & Jessica ride his bus. What a comfort and relief to know that he and Megan will both be watched over while on the bus. Bryson is the last stop on the way to school and the first stop on the way home, so he loves not having to ride the bus forever. This year he has to ride the bus with kids of all ages, so he will have a lot more exposure to things and people that don't share our standards.
He got off the bus, jumped in the car and exclaimed, "School was sweet. This is gonna be a great second grade!" So, I pretty much gathered from his perma-grin that he had a fantastic first day. He has another boy in his class that is named Bridger Pannell. Fancy that? The same last name and we don't even know him. He got to meet him today, and his mother. He has already made some new friends and absolutely LOVES his class and teacher. He also told me today that now he will have something to do everyday that the kids are napping - he will be at school! I thought that was cute. This summer he often got bored when the kids were taking their naps because there wasn't anyone to play with.
I love the school year. It provides my life, as well as my family's life with structure, consistency, opportunity, and learning. I love to see my children learning and enjoy opportunities where I can have teaching moments as well. Of course every mother worries about the exposure her children has to the outside world, but I feel if we have armed them with the proper tools to combat temptation and bad choices, then I feel the Lord will do His part in watching over them when they are not in our care. And hopefully, they will make good choices.
The house is quiet. Everyone is sleeping. The first day of school is done. This evening was a little chaotic. I had to get my month's menu list completed and groceries bought (which was supposed to be done yesterday), so dinner and bedtime routine were a little out of whack tonight. Ah well, it will come in time. I just have to have some kind of order, in order for me to not feel unbalanced! Maybe a couple weeks in and I will be a little more settled. But, for now, I am just grateful that school is in session and I am back in business!
No comments:
Post a Comment