I am in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner, when Bryson walks in, fresh out of the bath. He has his blue space footie jammies on, hair sopping wet and spikey, and finger in his ear trying to wiggle the excess water out, and he says,"Mom, I think that from now on you should pack our snacks."
"You want me to pack your snacks?"
"Yeah, like pick something out for us and pack it in our backpacks for school. Sometimes I don't know what I want and it would just be easier." He says, passing through the kitchen, headed for the stairs to take his dirty clothes down.
"Uhh... ok. But, if I pack your snacks, that takes away your freedom of choosing what you want. Are you ok with that?
His response, as he is walking down the stairs, "Don't worry, Mom. I'll eat whatever you pack for me."
Instantly I am smiling, left alone in the kitchen to reflect upon such a simple request. I am so glad to have such an easy going kid that for the most part, does as he is told, helps me out a lot, and doesn't care what I feed him. I'm thinking he is already on his way preparing to become a great husband some day!
...And as he comes back up the stairs, he simply adds, "Oh, but please don't pack me any of those peanut butter granola bars, 'cause I don't like those."
We make eye contact, I wink at him as he walks out of the room, en route to the couch to engulf himself in his Harry Potter book, and I reply, "Don't worry. I won't. Your mom knows you don't like peanut butter. I'll surprise you."
And off he goes. I am the mother of six, starting at age nine, and in this moment I am still needed... wanted... and life seems so simple.
1 comment:
wow. Either my hormones are really still out of whack or that was very touching. :) I'll go with the latter. Thanks for sharing that! He is seriously the sweetest little guy. He WILL be a great missionary soon & husband eventually. So thoughtful & loving.
My mom keeps telling me she's surprised when he wants to cuddle up w her & give her hugs & have kisses from Grandma sometimes.. :) I'm not surprised. He's always been that awesome boy.
Love him.
Post a Comment