This post coincides with a song that I really like, sung by The Cure. I believe it is titled "Friday, I'm in Love!". And since Friday is like Date Night, it is perfect to be the day of Love. My goal from here on out is to make a journal post every Friday about something that I love.
So..... today I am in Love with some parental advice I learned from a dear friend, that I have incorporated into my home, with my own little twist, and it has thus proved to be very effective! I am so excited and SO grateful for the little bit of wisdom I have received. It has given my children more concrete responsibility, while adding a bit of fun to the pot!
See, I am one of those people that often times I am like, "Move out of my way. I need to hurry. So much to do, so little time. Let me do it myself, and it can get done faster and right, the first time." However, this does not always prove to be the best kind of leadership, AT ALL. Sometimes, well most of the time, I struggle being a team player because I like to do most things myself. I often don't have the patience to wait for little helpers. Doing something takes THREE times as long as if I would have just done it myself. However, ALLOWING your children to work along side you helps givesthem RESPONSIBILITY, SATISFACTION, and OWNERSHIP in the family unit! I have learned this first-hand.
Life and parenthood are always a journey, ever changing as you go. For right now, this system is working and I am so happy. I have assigned each child to a day. That is their day to help with meals, especially dinner, and to help with the dishes (which means emptying the dishwasher - a daily chore) and doing the dishes for meals. I require each child to take his/her own plate, utensils, cup over, wash it, and put it in the dishwasher. But, the child of the day gets to help set the table, clear the table, and do the rest of the dishes with me, along with helping cook the meals. In most cases, the most help comes at dinner time.
So, I have the cutest picture, but I cannot get it off of my camera for some reason. The USB is not wanting to connect to the computer right now. However, Thursday is Tyler's day. I can't describe the joy in my heart when I slowed down and allowed him to truely help me with dinner. I knew it would take longer and would probably be a little bit messier, but he was so proud of himself. I sent him down to the basement to the food storage room to retrieve 2 cans of green beans, 1 big can of peaches, and 1 big can of pears. It took him four trips down-and-up, but he got it all! Then, after I opened them with a can-opener, I let him put them in the glass bowls. He got a fork and put the peaches and pears in one at a time. It was so cute to watch him. He was trying so hard to be neat and get his little job done. Then he set the table and helped carry over the rest of the dinner. I let him help me stir up the casserole, too. I think, for once, I had more fun and SATISFACTION watching him help me, than I ever would have doing it on my own.

Children, as long as they can stand and use their hands properly, can be helpers with everything we, as mothers, do in a day. Often we get going to fast, thinking it would be easier, faster, and less messy if we do it ourselves. Ok, so it probably would be less messy, and faster, but the true joy lies in the connection of spending time together, in learning side-by-side what each other's strengths and weaknesses are. My weakness - trying to get it all done by myself because I think it will be easier, faster, and less messy. But, my goal is to focus more on allowing my children to work along side me, to teach them how to care for a house and a family, and to share my time with them using teamwork.
And Fridays??? Well, that day is Jason's. Since it is date night, if he isn't taking me out (which means I don't have to worry about dinner anyway), then he is cooking for me. So, yes. Today I am in love! I love the system that is working in our home. I love watching my kids get excited when it is their day. They help pick the dinner, they pick the fruit and vegetable that we have with our meal, and even the drink. They say the prayers, or assign someone to say them if they don't want to (which is never, they always fight over it). Basically, each child gets to help be in charge for the day... and so far, they love it. So, I love it. Everyone is happy! And tonight... I don't have to make dinner! Ahhh! :]
So..... today I am in Love with some parental advice I learned from a dear friend, that I have incorporated into my home, with my own little twist, and it has thus proved to be very effective! I am so excited and SO grateful for the little bit of wisdom I have received. It has given my children more concrete responsibility, while adding a bit of fun to the pot!
See, I am one of those people that often times I am like, "Move out of my way. I need to hurry. So much to do, so little time. Let me do it myself, and it can get done faster and right, the first time." However, this does not always prove to be the best kind of leadership, AT ALL. Sometimes, well most of the time, I struggle being a team player because I like to do most things myself. I often don't have the patience to wait for little helpers. Doing something takes THREE times as long as if I would have just done it myself. However, ALLOWING your children to work along side you helps givesthem RESPONSIBILITY, SATISFACTION, and OWNERSHIP in the family unit! I have learned this first-hand.
Life and parenthood are always a journey, ever changing as you go. For right now, this system is working and I am so happy. I have assigned each child to a day. That is their day to help with meals, especially dinner, and to help with the dishes (which means emptying the dishwasher - a daily chore) and doing the dishes for meals. I require each child to take his/her own plate, utensils, cup over, wash it, and put it in the dishwasher. But, the child of the day gets to help set the table, clear the table, and do the rest of the dishes with me, along with helping cook the meals. In most cases, the most help comes at dinner time.
So, I have the cutest picture, but I cannot get it off of my camera for some reason. The USB is not wanting to connect to the computer right now. However, Thursday is Tyler's day. I can't describe the joy in my heart when I slowed down and allowed him to truely help me with dinner. I knew it would take longer and would probably be a little bit messier, but he was so proud of himself. I sent him down to the basement to the food storage room to retrieve 2 cans of green beans, 1 big can of peaches, and 1 big can of pears. It took him four trips down-and-up, but he got it all! Then, after I opened them with a can-opener, I let him put them in the glass bowls. He got a fork and put the peaches and pears in one at a time. It was so cute to watch him. He was trying so hard to be neat and get his little job done. Then he set the table and helped carry over the rest of the dinner. I let him help me stir up the casserole, too. I think, for once, I had more fun and SATISFACTION watching him help me, than I ever would have doing it on my own.
Children, as long as they can stand and use their hands properly, can be helpers with everything we, as mothers, do in a day. Often we get going to fast, thinking it would be easier, faster, and less messy if we do it ourselves. Ok, so it probably would be less messy, and faster, but the true joy lies in the connection of spending time together, in learning side-by-side what each other's strengths and weaknesses are. My weakness - trying to get it all done by myself because I think it will be easier, faster, and less messy. But, my goal is to focus more on allowing my children to work along side me, to teach them how to care for a house and a family, and to share my time with them using teamwork.
And Fridays??? Well, that day is Jason's. Since it is date night, if he isn't taking me out (which means I don't have to worry about dinner anyway), then he is cooking for me. So, yes. Today I am in love! I love the system that is working in our home. I love watching my kids get excited when it is their day. They help pick the dinner, they pick the fruit and vegetable that we have with our meal, and even the drink. They say the prayers, or assign someone to say them if they don't want to (which is never, they always fight over it). Basically, each child gets to help be in charge for the day... and so far, they love it. So, I love it. Everyone is happy! And tonight... I don't have to make dinner! Ahhh! :]
1 comment:
That is so awesome Lisa! I can't wait to see pictures of your little assistant :]
I love your system and it seems to be helping you ALL blossom! I bet Tyler just LOVED helping! He is that way. A little helper :] You both have done awesome at raising your kids. At having them WANT to give prayers, I KNOW how much they fight over saying it ha ha [been around for that one] :] It's fantastic!
Post a Comment